Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Why can't baseball players get any love?

I’m sure you’ve heard of Kobe Bryant and LeBron James. But have you ever heard of Curtis Granderson or Ryan Howard? Probably not. These young stars are doing their thing on the baseball diamond. That’s right, I said baseball.

You know …wooden bat, little white ball, homeruns. For a while now I’ve wondered why baseball players don’t seem to be so popular. Let me ask you; Do you even watch baseball?

If not, why not?

In my debut novel, The Last Ms. Understanding, the lead male character is a former baseball star.

Myself, I grew up watching the game and I still do. But, when Michael Jordan stepped onto the scene in the mid 1980’s and became a global icon it seemed like every kid laced up his sneakers and threw down their baseball gloves.

Why do you think baseball has lost its popularity? What will it take for baseball players to get some love?

Oh, by the way…In 2009 Ryan Howard, a baseball player on the Philadelphia Phillies will make $15,000,000 compared to LeBron James $14,400,000. Go on, admit it. Baseball’s starting to look better already….

(Detroit Tiger, Curtis Granderson, shown above)

No comments:

Post a Comment