Thursday, November 12, 2009

Introducing Kyus Philnesta


Kyus Philnesta – Writer, Author & Poet



Bio - Kyus was born and raised in Miami, FL. She now resides in Pembroke Pines with her husband, Broderick, their 4 yr old son and their 15 yr old nephew. Kyus received her Associate Degree in General Studies from Miami Dade Community College. She continued her education at Florida International University where she earned her Bachelor Degree in Criminal Justice. She has been working in the criminal justice field for the past 24 yrs.


Kyus selfpublished her first book, To the Heart of Things, A Chapbook of Poetry in 2001. Her depute novel, Because of Love was derived from one of her poems in that book.


What do you want readers to take away from your book?
There are two things I want to bring to light in my books. First I want to focus on issues that changes my protagonist life. I don't want to just write love stories, (although Because of Love is a love story) or write about the drama that goes on in relationships. I want to take issues like rape, death, teenage pregnancy or serious illnesses like cancer and place these issues in their lives. I want to show strong, solid relationships (marriages, friendships, families, couples) being shattered by uncontrollable events and then show how these issues is dealt with.
The second thing I want from my readers is to awaken their moral consciousness. When they find themselves facing a crisis beyond their control and must make a moral decision, do they allow what they have been taught to shape their decision, even if their heart is wrapped up in pain? Or do they allow the pain or anger or hatred or what ever the emotion is, to be the guiding factor on how the crisis is handled.


Are you a believer in outlines or do you write spontaneously?
RL, I do a little of both. In Because of Love I wrote an outline. I needed a way to keep track of time, people ages, events, etc. (besides, it was my first book). But eventually the book just took off. Instead of me taking my characters on a journey, they took me. I just penned the words.


But for the two books I’m writing now (one is a sequel to Because of Love) my outline is in my head. I haven’t written anything down. I just know where I want to go and how I want to get there. Who knows, maybe my characters will take me on another journey.


What do you think it is about your book that will keep readers turning the pages?
To answer this question, I cheated. It would be so easy for me to tell you, ‘Oh, my novel is this’ or ‘my novel is that’. ‘It’s filled with this and it’ll make you that.’ But what I did was looked back at some of my reader’s reviews. What was it that kept them turning the pages? Here’s what some of them had to say:


Great 1st Read!!


“The story kept my attention and I wanted to read more. I really got into the characters and had personal emotions about each. It took me away as I wanted it to. I don’t usually read a book in 2 days, but it was hard to put down because I became personally involved with the characters and wanted to see where life took them. I always think a good story, whether a novel, movie, or someone telling it, is one that gives you an unexpected twist and this one did just that.


The mentions of current events and Miami exclusives was intriguing (i.e. Palmetto Espy, Ft. Lauderdale . . . even mentioning TJ morning show, state of real estate and the economy . . .).”
Nicole DuVall


Hi my name is Nicole
I received your book from a co-worker to read. I started reading it on a Tues I was done by Thurs when I say your book was so wonderful to read words just can't explain. My kids call me a slow reader because I like to read but I will have the book for weeks, but when I started your book I couldn't put it down it was so good. I would fall asleep reading this book and wake up still reading it (to funny) that is how much I enjoyed it. There has been only one other author that has caught my attention the way that you have and that is Mary Monroe she is my favorite author. I’m going to recommend your book with my friends and family especially my mother she will love it just as much as I did. There needs to be a part 2 to that book in the future.Thank you,
Nicole


I finally read your book and what a wonderful book it was!!!!! If I could give you an award for your writing (book), I would because I thought it was just that good/great. I think it was well written and could be compared to such writers as Kimberla Lawson Roby and Carl Webber. I enjoyed how easy it was to read, the twists it offered and oh, the illusions. I think it leaves room to a sequel into the lives of Lena and Kyle getting married and their lives thereafter, etc. I like the strong family support that both Kyle and Tony had as well as their true, tried and tested friendship. Oh, and you really did your homework when it came to your research. You provided clear information of symptoms, treatment and it's effects. Oh and the medical terminology and name of medicine was right on target. There were sooo many good parts about the book.


Keep up the good work and don't forget me when.....
Angela


How can readers learn more and get in contact with you?
My supporters can reach me via my website: http://www.dauthorkyus.net/, email:  kyusphilnesta@yahoo.com and on Face Book.


RL, thank you for this wonderful opportunity and wonderful exposure!


Be Blessed,
Kyus Philnesta

Kyrus... Thank you
-RL Taylor, author of The Last Ms. Understanding and Champagne, Jellybeans, and Chocolate

Leave a comment and be entered in a drawing to receive a FREE e-book of The Last Ms. Understanding

2 comments:

  1. Interesting interview. I hadn't seen someone post comments they've received before. What a cool idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Katie. I thought that was a really good idea as well. It sounds like Kyus is well on her way. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete