Friday, October 30, 2009

RL Taylor is interviewed by Real Sista Writers

The following interview was conducted by Ginae from Real Sista Writers Yahoo Group.
My debut novel The Last Ms. Understanding was selected as their October Book of the Month
-Tell us how you got started into writing ?

A: I used to be a habitual reader up until about 7 or 8 years ago. Life got busy and my reading slowed down.
Then, a friend of mine told me he was writing a book and suggested I give it a try. That prompted the reading bug again, and the next thing I know I was writing. I also studied the craft very hard, submerging myself in articles, books, and magazines surrounding the subject of writing. For the past 3 years I have been writing almost daily, and I don’t see an end in sight.

-How did you come up with the title for your book and what was the mindset behind it?

A: The Last Ms. Understanding was my debut novel. The title is a play on words and basically means that sometimes in relationships understanding is needed. In this book the main female character is very understanding, but sometimes misunderstandings can be used as an excuse to hide the truth.

-Tell us about any current projects you're working on...

A: I am currently working on promoting my new novel; Champagne , Jellybeans, and Chocolate. I also have two other books completed and I’m having trouble figuring out which one to focus my attention on as I embark on the final edits for each. They are titled Check Mate and Dreaming of a Crayon Sun, which is the 2nd book in the Champagne , Jellybeans, and Chocolate series. The third book in the series is being written right now and titled, Dragonfly Summer. Read more about these books on the internet at
http://www.rltayloronline.com

-What advice would you give other writers trying to write their first novel?

A: I would say to not give up, keep writing, and educate yourself as much as possible. Self-publishing can be difficult, especially when you’re trying to gain an audience and respect as a quality author. Don’t doubt your ability, you just may be talented.

-As a male, did you find it difficult to put a woman's voice to your book?


A: I thought about various women I know or have known. Being married to an independent professional woman was a blessing because I know how strong women can be. In each book I hope to portray women in a positive light. I see too many books today with women sleeping around and being promiscuous. I feel that is a bad representation of our women.

-How did you come up with the story line for your book?


A: The storyline evolved as I wrote it. I tried to stick to an outline but added extra twists and turns inside every chapter. I really wanted to keep the reader guessing as they read on. I put myself in each characters shoe’s to ask myself how I would react in their situation.

-Is there anything different or any changes you wish you had made regarding the story and/or characters looking back?

A: I kind of like how it ended up. The reason I say this is because I receive so many varying views on who was right, and who was wrong. Some female readers really were pulling for Rita. Others couldn’t stand her. The same is true with Lee. Most readers said he was the “typical man”, and I’m not sure if that was a compliment or not. You and others have hinted at a sequel, so I feel like I delivered. A sequel may be in the works soon…

-Which character do you find your readers tend to identify with the most?

A: I would say half and half. The women say either Rita or Simone. All men say Lee. I patterned a lot of his behavior after myself and decisions I’ve made. Good or bad. There is definitely a wide range of characters in the book. Everyone will be able to identify with one of them.

-What are some of your favorite books?

A: I have to say that I’m all over the map as far as reading. I will mix in some non-fiction at times, but fiction novels…. I really enjoyed, John Grisham “The Street Lawyer”, Brandon Massey “Cornered”, and Stuart Woods “Short Straw"

-Anything else you would like to tell us about RL?

A: I want readers to know that I am going to turn out books that are truly different. I will make sure to present women in a positive light and not degrade. At the same time I assure you that you will be thoroughly entertained. My goal is to not have any dull chapters. I want readers to love my books as much as I enjoy crafting the stories.

I’m currently running a free promo on my website. Readers can go there thru November and sign up for a free 15 chapter preview of Champagne, Jellybeans, and Chocolate.

Thanks again Ginae, I want to thank you for the opportunity to be selected as the book of the month and for this interview. I wish you all the best in any of your endeavors.

RL Taylor
http://www.rltayloronline.com

5 comments:

  1. Your books sound really interesting, and I like the play on words your title has on your debut novel. You did much the same thing I did when you started writing: self-education. Of course, it doesn't take the place of a critique group, but instead augments the writing experience. Good luck with your book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Katie. You never can learn enough about writing can you? I've also found that reading books by quality authors helps out a lot as well. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on your book being selected.

    Thanks,
    Tracey D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had a chance to reaqd the first 15 chapters of your new book and I enjoyed every minute of it. Thank you for being a voice for good read. I will be picking up your book called "The last Ms.Understanding." Heard is was a must read. Thank You and may GOD bless you in all that you do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the congrats Tracey...
    Thank you also mawayj, I'm glad you enjoyed the 15 chapter preview. The entire book is available now for purchase. Thanks too for your interest in The Last Ms. Understanding. With your continued support I can stay motivated to continue writing and turn out some great reads...

    ReplyDelete