Friday, August 21, 2009

Meet the author, J.Love

RL meets J. Love, author of the novel, “Heavy in the Game.”

Bio: I was born and raised in Los Angeles, California. I was voted most likely to succeed while in the 9th grade when I attended Audubon Jr. High school. By the time I reached the 12th grade at Dorsey High, my life took a turn in the direction of obtaining a degree in street knowledge instead of keeping my once 3.6 grade point average up and attending college. I dropped out of school to pursue the American teenager's dream of owning a car. I started with a $50 dollar double-up pack and from there built my little empire. Fatherhood soon followed the start of my illegal career and so I took on the single parent role while grinding it out in the streets. It was only when all had been lost and after serving three years in prison that I realized that my 11th grade English teacher was right suggesting to me back then that I should become a writer. After 13 years of hustling, I have now taken my life experiences and put them into the novel, “Heavy in the game” and is presently working on the sequel, “The game don’t wait.”

What do you want readers to take away from your book?
I want readers to feel as though they have just walked away from watching a movie and have just finished a journey that they have learned from and can pass along to others. I want the youth that read my book to see first hand through my main character, the domino effect that he has on others around him and how you do not realize what you are actually doing to them while doing what you do in the streets.

Are you a believer in outlines, or do you write spontaneously?
I am a spontaneously writer. I may get up in the middle of the night and write a scene that came to me in my sleep.

What do you think it is about your book that will keep readers turning the pages?
I think that the reality of the characters and the situations that they are faced with, readers are not only captivated by, but they can either relate to or feel they actually know one or more characters in the story. My book is written in a way so that the reader will feel as though they are not only reading but watching the story unfold.

How can readers learn more and get in contact with you?
My website is http://www.jlovebooks.com/ and my e-mail address is jlovebooks@yahoo.com


Find out more about J. Love...


Leave a comment and be entered to win a free copy of RL's debut, The Last Ms. Understanding

No comments:

Post a Comment