Sunday, August 9, 2009

Meet Teryl Cartwright


My name is Teryl Cartwright and my book is called A Sensible Match which is a Regency romance about a matchmaking parents, less than grateful kids and the ultimate twist when the couple decides their parents might be right at the very moment the match is forbidden. What makes this book special is that I actually know how it feels to have someone in your family play matchmaker and I ended up marrying the man “chosen” for me!


Some bio info about me—I have a teaching degree, but write more than teach, I was born in Texas but live in PA, (so I’m not sure if that makes me a Yankee Rebel or vice versa) and I love all kinds of fiction so I have included a slightly “western genre” touch to my English novel.

What do you want readers to take away from your book?


I would hope readers take away laughter and the feeling of wonder and joy in a good romance. I want readers to love my characters as much as I do and have my novel adventures bring both a smile to the soul and hope to the heart. After all, I believe that there is some comedy in falling in love. Falling in love HAS to be funny—the act of falling is far from graceful or deliberate. Falling makes me think of banana peels and America’s Funniest Home Videos and the weird thing that happens to your sanity when you discover that special someone. Falling in love is sharing awkward moments, silly misunderstandings and unexplainable, unexpected behavior. How else do you explain some of the crazy things that happen in romance which you can only shake your head about later? Even as we laugh at the painful parts, we all still recognize and root for “happily ever after”. Falling in love to me is a funny, exhilarating journey into what we choose to have faith in as the best part of life and ourselves.


Are you a believer in outlines, or do you write spontaneously?


I believe in general outlines with some flexibility for those moments in which the characters hijack the story to make it their own. I don’t think it would be much fun to map out an entire book before writing it, but I do need a little direction of where the story is going. I am a firm believer in great endings to books (more than beginnings) so often I’ll know how a book ends and then have the wonderfully unpredictable journey of writing it to see how to get there.


What do you think it is about your book that will keep readers turning the pages?


I really believe that a combination of factors will keep readers turning the pages, though a story is only as good as the meaning behind the words. I took a simple idea, “Can you choose whom to love?” and went from there. Abby is a part time Good Samaritan, caring for the people she chooses until her suitor Edwin challenges her to do more. Page turning then occurs with their witty, cozy romance matched with an exciting attempt on one of the character’s lives to keep the couple apart and finally, the delicious ironic twist that occurs when Abby tries to lose a guy in ten days and actually “gets” him instead.


How can readers learn more and get in contact with you?


I have several writing samples at my website to help readers learn more about me and to get in touch with me. The blogs I’ve included (Myspace, Bebo and Facebook) are designed as follows Myspace—commentary on current events, Bebo--writing advice and Redroom--writing reflections.


My homepage: www.terylcartwright.com


Blogs: http://blogs.myspace.com/271246421, http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=4947146892, http://www.redroom.com/blog/teryl-s-cartwright


Other links ---


Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Sensible-Match-Teryl-Cartwright/dp/097933277X/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpi_1


Barnes and Noble: http://search.barnesandnoble.com/A-Sensible-Match/Teryl-Cartwright/e/9780979332777/?itm=5


Publisher: www.vrpublishing.com

Thank you Cheryl for taking the time to introduce yourself. If anyone leaves a comment for or about Cheryl I will enter your name in a drawing to receive a free copy of my debut novel, The Last Ms. Understanding. Best wishes Cheryl!

-RL Taylor

No comments:

Post a Comment